June 8, 2020
Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags White Water Announce June Opening Date
Theme Park to Open June 15 With Extensive New Safety Measures in Place
Six Flags Over Georgia, the Thrill Capital of the South, today announced plans to reopen on June 15, 2020. Six Flags White Water, the South’s Most Thrilling Water Park, will reopen on June 29. In accordance with Governor Kemp’s most recent Executive Order, Six Flags Over Georgia will operate at reduced attendance levels for the first week of operation and the first four days at Six Flags White Water. During this initial preview phase, the parks will only be open to Members and Season Pass Holders. The parks will gradually increase attendance levels throughout the remainder of the year, as mandated by the state.
The parks are implementing extensive new safety measures and hygiene protocols, including several new advanced technology systems to protect guests and employees. These procedures will be adjusted on an as-needed basis to ensure compliance with state recommendations.
“Six Flags Over Georgia and White Water are two of the most popular summertime family traditions in the Southeast, and we look forward to welcoming guests back to our beautiful parks to enjoy a safe, fun environment. The safety of our guests and team members remains our number one priority,” said Park President Dale Kaetzel. “We want to thank our incredible team members, elected officials and all essential workers who have supported us and our community throughout the past several months.”
Six Flags Over Georgia will hold its Preview Days for Members and Season Pass Holders June 15-21. The park will open to all guests on June 22. Six Flags White Water will host its Preview Days June 29-July 2 and will open to all guests on July 3 for the 2020 season.
The parks will employ an online reservation system to manage attendance, schedule guests for entry by day, and to stagger arrival times to minimize proximity exposure. Other new technologies include:
- State-of-the-art thermal imaging for temperature checks;
- Advanced security screening technology for touchless bag checks; and
- Expanded mobile food ordering.
The parks’ reopening plan, which the company developed in consultation with epidemiologists, meets or exceeds federal, state, and local guidelines for sanitization, hygiene, and social distancing protocols.
“We have developed a comprehensive reopening safety plan that includes protocols designed by theme park and waterpark industry experts, along with best practices from top destination parks from around the world, which will allow guests to experience our parks in the safest way possible. This ’new normal’ will be different in some ways, but we believe these additional measures are appropriate in the current environment,” said Six Flags President and CEO Mike Spanos.
Reopening plans include:
Health Screenings for Guests and Team Members
- Contactless IR thermal imaging will be used to screen temperatures of guests and employees prior to entry;
- Individuals will be required to acknowledge and abide by the company’s health policies, which prohibits park entry if guests have recently been exposed to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19;
- Following CDC guidelines, all guests over the age of two and all team members will be required to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth throughout their visit/work day;
- Several mask-free zones will be located throughout the park;
- Masks will be available at the front gate for any guest without one; and
- Masks will not be required on waterslides, water attractions or in pools.
Strictly Enforced Social Distancing
- Easy to identify distance markers will be added in all park entry, ride, restroom, retail locations, and dining queue lines;
- A limited number of complimentary lifejackets will be available upon request; however, families are encouraged to provide their own coast-guard approved lifejackets for children under 42 inches, or those who are not strong swimmers. All wateer park lifejackets will be sanitized after every guest use;
- Dining areas will be adjusted to allow ample space between seated parties;
- Guests will be allowed to ride on a tube with family/group members, but will not be allowed to share a tube with those not in their immediate party;
- Guests will be separated by empty rows and/or seats on all roller coasters, rides, and attractions;
- Six-foot viewing areas will be marked for guests to observe game play, and arcade games will be reconfigured or deactivated to comply with social distancing requirements;
- Advanced security screenings will enable touchless bag checks;
- Live performance venues and certain rides and attractions where social distancing cannot be effectively managed will be closed; and
- Guests viewing outdoor entertainment will be separated by at least six feet.
Extensive Sanitization and Disinfecting Protocols
- Trained and dedicated cleaning teams have been put in place;
- Rides, restraints, and handrails will be cleaned throughout the day;
- Team members will frequently sanitize and disinfect high-touch points, including the following: Public Seating, Tabletops, Counters, Doors, Trash cans, Deck Chairs, Life Jackets, Tubes and Rafts
- Restroom staff will be stationed to disinfect each stall, sink, and shower area on a frequent basis;
- Multiple hand-washing and alcohol-based hand-sanitizer stations will be located throughout the parks; and
- All team member work areas will be regularly sanitized and disinfected.
Sanitized Food Preparation and Service
- Modified menus and implementation of mobile food ordering will help facilitate touchless transactions;
- Self-service buffets and salad bars will be reconfigured to eliminate guest contact with food;
- Condiments, self-serve cutlery, and napkins will be provided to guests with their meals as required; and
- Beverages will be served by attendants; any drink bottle refills will be served in a paper cup each time guests refill.
Commercial-Grade Cleaning Equipment and Supplies
- All employees will be issued Team Member Action Packs which will include the following items: a safety face mask, safety glasses, and disposable gloves;
- Low pressure backpack sprayers will be utilized for disinfecting large areas;
- Abundant supplies of sanitizers and disinfectants will be available;
- Microfiber cloths will be used to sanitize surfaces; and
- Queue line supplies, fencing, and tents will be in place to promote safe social distancing.
Multi-Layered Guest and Team Member Communication
- Frontline team members will go through extensive COVID-19 training;
- Safety messaging and reminders will be displayed on Six Flags’ website, and in newsletters;
- Distance markers and physical distance indicators will be in place; and
- Informational safety signage will be posted throughout the park.
Park Reservations System to Manage Attendance
Six Flags will establish attendance caps that will be well below the park’s theoretical capacity in order to allow for proper social distancing. All Members, Season Pass holders and all guests with a single-day or group ticket will need to make a reservation at www.sixflags.com/reserve. The process will take 5-7 minutes, and guests will complete the following steps:
- Enter their online order number, ticket number or Membership/Season Pass number;
- Select the day and the approximate time they want to visit;
- Watch a brief video describing new social distancing and sanitization procedures;
- Acknowledge their understanding of the company’s health policy; and
- Order pre-paid parking, if they do not already have a parking pass.
Guests may make reservations for Six Flags Over Georgia beginning June 8, and will be contacted electronically (either by email, text or both) the day before their scheduled visit to confirm their intent to visit. Members and Season Pass Holders will receive booking priority over single-day and group ticket buyers. The reservation system for Six Flags White Water will open later this month. Hurricane Harbor will open on June 22 and GOTHAM CITYY will debut on June 29 at Six Flags Over Georgia.
The Six Flags brand is synonymous with family fun and thrills for all ages. These significant new changes are designed to improve the overall park experience while keeping guests and employees safe.
Six Flags Season Passes and Memberships are currently on sale. Members can enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise all season long. Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Elite levels are available featuring all the perks of a Season Pass plus other benefits including admission to all Six Flags branded theme and waterparks, preferred parking, and points that can be redeemed for free food, merchandise, and special experiences. Visit the Member Lounge in the park or go online to sixflags.com for more information and to sign up today.